The Society for Interdisciplinary Placebo Studies (SIPS) is an international association of scholars who share the goal of understanding the placebo effect in medical treatment, psychotherapy, and complementary and alternative treatment.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is a U.S. public university and home to nationally ranked programs in law, dentistry, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and social work. Interdisciplinary and interprofessional team work is fundamental to its vision.
Expert faculty from the UMB Schools of Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy collaborated with SIPS to design an interdisciplinary, international scientific conference to advance the science of placebo research and mind-body mechanisms, and apply this knowledge to alcohol use and pain disorders.
The 3 day conference is designed to provide an unparalleled platform for integrating current knowledge on placebo research in pain, alcohol use disorders, and substance use disorders. Pain and alcohol are inter-related conditions with large and individually variable placebo effects on disease progression and response to treatments. The ultimate goal of this conference is to develop holistic and adequate strategies for better management and treatment of these conditions. Specifically, the conference will:
- provide a collaborative platform to present and share innovative research findings and theoretical ideas on placebo research to a national and an international audience of researchers;
- promote training and education of trainees, academic junior researchers, healthcare professionals, agencies, stakeholders and the public; and
- advocate for the participation of minorities and women while expanding the U.S. research in the global network of placebo research.
Features of this program include:
- Seven Plenary sessions
- Three special Sessions on COVID-19, Placebo methodology, Virtual Reality
- Over twenty parallel workshops
- Peer reviewed oral presentations
- Peer reviewed poster sessions
- Inclusion of patients and non-researcher clinicians
- Networking forums
- In-depth discussions that will:
- expand the knowledge of placebo responsiveness,
- facilitate collaborations and synthesize new approaches in research and treatment
- enhance the empirical, conceptual and ethical understanding of the placebo effect among academic researchers, health care professionals, as well as external stakeholders
- CME will be provided
Plan to join us for this unique and exciting conference!
For detailed information and to register, visit https://sips-conference.com/registration/detailed-information-and-link-to-online-registration.